Saturday, January 7, 2012


As I approach my solar return next week my mind is on my childhood and the things that fascinated me at that time. I grew up in a desert like area of California where the night sky was filled with stars. My father did not like the fact that my interests were not earthly so we were constantly at odds and my body paid for it! At the age of seven I found myself working in the cotton fields on the wee...kend with the family. Yes, we were poor. I could not keep my eyes from watching the sky. My father use to shout at me, “Aubrey, get your head back down in those stalks.”

By the time I was 18 I had developed a strong interest in astronomy, astrology, including Chinese astrology. I had developed the ability to guess people signs by just talking to them and was 95% correct. That was a startling awakening. I had to find out more about the ancient sciences. I took a class in astronomy in college and did a research paper on the aureole borealis lights that occur in the northern sky. I became driven to learn more.

My mother, a minister, tolerated by peculiar interests, while my seven siblings called me “the professor” because I was curious about everything and my little journeys of exploring would lead to trouble with my father, who believed in “spare the rod spoil the child.” After travels on every continent and years of higher education my fascination with the universe and the people in it still rages on. What I have learned is like Stephen Hawking said, “There are many realities and not just the one we are taught to believe in.”
Then there is Newton who has taught us so much about gravity. I wish a happy birthday to Stephen and a happy birthday to Newton, both, my fellow travelers. I don’t know how all of these experiences have brought me to this moment in life but I am forever grateful to be still here.

My hobby has been the study of the ancient sciences for many years. 2012 represents the beginning of the Chinese 60 year astrological cycle with the year of the Dragon on January 22, and the beginning of the alignment of the galaxy on December 21, 2012. This means very little to most people but as a stargazer I am excited about what might be ahead and I know for a fact that only the universe knows! Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment