Monday, February 25, 2013

THE ACADEMY AWARDS -2013


It’s Moonday once again and a full Moon as well. Emotions will run rampant and little will get done that you don’t have to rethink tomorrow. The best thing to do today is to relax and enjoy the parade of nonsensical events by those who didn’t get the message. It’s a full Moon, so chill! Only Cancers can understand days like today.

The Oscars didn’t surprise me last night. I felt that the fix was on for Argo for best movie in light of all the hints being dropped by insiders all last week.  I felt that “Lincoln” is a better movie, the fix to too powerful to overcome. Stories about the CIA seem to overshadow historical truths when they make it to the light of day. Therefore, I had already marked my ballot two weeks before that my choice was “Lincoln” while the Academy would choose “Argo.”

I did not care for the movie “Django” because my heart is still aching about recent history of the civil rights movement and the deaths of so many people fighting economic and social injustice I could barely look at the movie without wanting to cry. I did select Christoph Waltz as the best actor in a supporting role. He is brilliant!

Daniel Day-Lewis was my pick for best actor in a leading role though I felt that the Academy might slip Bradley Cooper in at the last minute. With the Academy, anything can happen but most of the time they are pretty predictable. Anne Hathaway was outstanding in Les Miserables and her Oscar is well deserved. I loved the dress she was wearing; not much left to the imagination.

The honors received by the “Life of Pi” were right on point. Ang Lee deserved the recognition for his direction in that movie. It’s was a little more complicated than “Lincoln.” Jennifer Lawrence (“Sliver Linings Playbook”) vs. Jessica Chastain (“Zero Dark Thirty”) was a tough choice do decide but understanding Hollywood where mental issues are a serious concern I can understand the Jennifer selection as best actress in a leading role.

Overall, the show was a good conclusion to a season of great movies. I became a Cinema enthusiast over 30 years ago. I can’t think of a better hobby.  The question asked some time ago was “Is life imitating art or is art imitating life” deserves an answer but I don’t have one. I just know the movies are a great escape from the reality of life and that’s enough for me.

I can’t leave this subject without say something about the host for the evening, whatever is name was, I don’t remember right now but I found him irritating and out of touch. He was no Billy Chrystal though he tried. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would have rated him as a 5. He was a light weight in a heavy weight arena.

If you don’t care about the Academy are the Oscars, point well taken.

Remain in peace and love. Enjoy your week!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment