Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012-2


It’s Moonday! Memorial Day 2012.This day has been set aside to honor and remember all of those who have died in war for the sake of our country’s liberty and the fight for their own liberty within this country.

If you don’t know the war history of our country or if you have never been taught the truth about America’s evolution to the role of superpower, then you live your life like a tree without roots but it’s not your fault.

Because of much of history is written by those who won the wars, history becomes a mere fable about those who won the power to control the lives of others.

As a student of history and a truth seeker, I have discovered that millions have died in fighting for America’s birth and its right to survive among nation-states. Most Americans are not exposed to this history because of the manipulation of our educational system to achieve the goals of the wealthy which are to maintain a stable and reliable work force.

As a minority veteran, I find it deplorable that one of the historical wars is still being fought in the dark shadows by those who owned slaves during America’s dark period of evolution, the Civil War. I watched a video on PBS last night called, “The Love of Liberty” hosted by Halle Berry. It was about the African-American’s military history from slavery times to the present.

When I first joined the military in 1964, this history was not part of my education so I was definitely a tree without roots. I served from 1964 to 1979 on active duty and as a reservist. I was told that I was one of the first African-American’s military lawyers to serve in the Marine Corp. I did not understand the ramifications of that assertion at that time and what it meant in historical prospective. As a young private in 1964, I did not know that I was following in the foot steps of other African-American Marines who had fought in World War II on Iwo Jima and died for America’s liberty. I was never told this history while in the Marine Corp.

I did find out that the first African-American Marines were segregated from the Corp and referred to as Montfort Point Marines. When the Marine Corp was integrated, the African-American were trained and treated as Marines. The history of their bravery and dedication as Marines make me proud to be standing on their shoulders today.

As an enlisted man and as an officer in the Marine Corp, I say to all my high school buddies who died in Vietnam and to all of the men and women who have served, I salute you.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment